Oct 6, 2012

My latest passion is for CANNING

I have been EXTREMELY busy this year with canning and freezing. Although I have canned for many years, this year we have gone all out! My eldest daughter, my Mom and I have been canning our old regular recipes (salsa, tomato sauce, applesauce , etc) and trying a few different things.
My Uncle Bert gets tons of potatoes from a farmer that grows potatoes to sell to restaurants... for free. He then donates them to churches and food banks.  He graciously let my family come and get some too. I brought home over 5 bushels. I think we spent a whole week mashing, cutting into hash browns or french fries, deep frying part done and freezing. I even tried canning a few quarts. We have already ate some of the mashed and the french fries. They were DELICIOUS!!
One of the recipes that I have to can every year is one that I got from my sister-in-law a couple years back. Sweet Pickle Relish made from zucchini.

Here is the recipe:

SWEET ZUCCHINI RELISH

10 c. zucchini, ground
4 c. onion, ground
2 large green peppers, ground
5 Tb. salt
 Let stand overnight (refrigerate)

Add:
1 Tb. mustard seed
1 Tb. celery seed
1 Tb. turmeric
1/2 tsp. pepper
5 c. sugar
2  1/2 c. apple cider vinegar

Bring to a boil - 10 min.
Add  2 Tb. cornstarch, dissolved.
Boil 4-5 more minutes. Stirring regularly (Tip: If you use a white plastic spoon, it will permanently stain it green, LOL)
Put in jars. Hot water bath for 10 min.
Makes 7 pints

I like to can mine in 1/2 pints because we don't use it that often. But we can't hardly eat a hotdog now without some of this relish on it and it's really good added to chicken salad.
The instructions are pretty straight-and-to-the-point. If you're going to try and make this and need some more explanations, please send me an email or a comment and I will get back with you.

Except for a few more raspberries, the garden has been all cleaned up and is ready for winter. Now I will spend some time canning things like "Meals in a Jar", homemade soups or chicken. Or maybe I will get lucky again and have a friend bring me over some deer meat to can.
I will have lots more room for all my canned goods soon. Remember that craft room that I was going to show you?

Well now it's getting turned into a pantry! PERFECT! This room is situated right off the kitchen and will be so handy! Can you tell how excited I am? I'm going to be installing the shelving in the next couple of days. Since I haven't been doing much crafting lately, it makes so much more sense to make this room the best ever pantry.

If you like to do jam & jelly canning, or you would like to win some homemade vanilla extract and tarragon vinegar....check out Canarella's giveaway on my sidebar.


I am linked with:

No comments: